Vigor lies somewhere between raw physical toughness, hearty vim, and iron-skulled grit: the ability to buckle down, cool your head, calm your heart, and unflinchingly take the best the world can throw at you.
A Note on Identifying Effects: GMs, it is up to you as to how often you withhold information, and how much, about the abilities you fling at your players. Players, it is up to you to determine how often you need to know more about what hit you in the face, beyond how much it hurts. Many effects are thrown around in Legend, so please keep that in mind when deciding to attempt identifying an effect.
You can prepare for pain with a surge of temporary hit points, and eventually to bounce back from more severe injuries and push through debilitating conditions. You can make this check as part of a move action, comparing your result to the list of DCs below to determine its benefits. All temporary HP and [Fast healing] gained from this skill are lost at the beginning of an [Encounter]. Temporary HP gained from this skill stack with other sources of temporary HP, but not itself, up to a maximum of half your normal maximum HP. [Fast healing] gained from this skill stacks with other sources of [Fast healing], but not itself.
- DC 15: You gain 5 temporary HP.
- DC 20: You gain 10 temporary HP.
- DC 25: You gain 10 temporary HP, and [Fast healing] 5 for one [Round].
- DC 30: You gain 15 temporary HP, and [Fast healing] 5 for two [Rounds].
- DC 35: You gain 15 temporary HP, [Fast healing] 10 for two [Rounds], and you may delay any one condition that is currently affecting you for 1 [Round]: it has no effect and its duration does not change for 1 [Round]. Any condition delayed this way may not be delayed again until the end of the [Encounter].
- DC 40: You gain 20 temporary HP, [Fast healing] 10 for three [Rounds], and you may delay any one condition that is currently affecting you for 1 [Round]: it has no effect and its duration does not change for 1 [Round]. Any condition delayed this way may not be delayed again until the end of the [Encounter].
- DC 45: As DC 40, and you may also remove one condition from yourself from the following list: [Battered], [Bleeding], [Blinded], [Confused], [Dazzled], [Deafened], [Energy drained], [Exhausted], [Fatigued], [Nauseated], [Burning], [Shaken], [Sickened], or [Slowed].
Knowing Which Effects to Identify: At the GM’s discretion, physical descriptions may be used to differentiate located effects (e.g. "You see a blue one and a green one"). If the GM does not want to divulge such specific information for free, the located effect to be identified may be chosen randomly.
Your skill at absorbing blows gives you certain bonuses when you have a given number of ranks in Vigor. All of these abilities are considered extraordinary abilities.
- 5 ranks: Whenever an effect other than [Fast healing] would heal you any amount of hit points, it heals you that many hit points plus five instead.
- 10 ranks: The [Damage reduction] you gain from Constitution is now equal to your Constitution modifier instead of half of your Constitution modifier.
- 15 ranks: Whenever you would suffer any number of points of [HP reduction], except from any ability you use, you suffer that many points of [HP reduction] minus five instead.